Wednesday, April 20, 2011

HIIT and Chug

I performed a HIIT workout today for my exercise.  For those of you who are not familiar, HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training.  One of the most effective ways to train.

High-intensity interval training (HIIT) or sprint interval training is an exercise strategy that is intended to improve performance with short training sessions. HIIT is a form of cardiovascular exercise which is beneficial to burning fat in a short and intense workout. Usual HIIT sessions may vary from 9–20 minutes. The original protocol set a 2:1 ratio for work to recovery periods. For example, a runner would alternate 15–20 seconds of hard sprinting with 10 seconds of jogging or walking. -Thank you Wikipedia :)

Since it was so nice out today... I decided to spend some time with mother nature and sprint on a near by track.  I sprinted 45 seconds and jogged for 20 seconds.  I repeated for twenty minutes.  Fast and sweaty workout.  Blasts tons of calories quickly too ;)

I chugged this about 30 minutes after I go home:

(Chocolate protein smoothie)


Step by step tutorial since I get so many questions about this monster...

-1 frozen banana
-1 HUGE handful of fresh baby spinach
-1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
-1 tbsp raw cocoa powder
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 cup almond milk



Toss it all in starting with the banana then spinach



Then dry ingredients



Then milk


And blend for 2-3 minutes.

Your results are one large,  fantastically nutritious and tastefully sinless smoothie!


 Since I have to teach multiple classes today and my stomach is still wonky... here are some meals that are carb based... I need my fuel.  This is not typical of me to eat as many starches.  Back to my veggie based meals tomorrow.  One thing you have to do is listen to your body and feed it what it wants.



Cereal on steroids.. regular cereal never fills me up.
Multigrain cheerios with strawberries, cocoa nibs, wheat germ and chia seeds



Everything but the kitchen sink wrap!
Turkey and goat cheese wrap with strawberries, beets, baby spinach, carrots and balsamic

Wednesday, let's do this!  

3 comments:

  1. That wrap looks delicious! What kind of bread/tortilla did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not tell a lie! I used a Mission Multigrain wrap, however, I would not recommend it because the ingredient list is long and not too friendly. Ezekiel wraps are the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just checked my Nature's Promise whole wheat tortillas and the list doesn't look all that friendly, either. I'll check out the Ezekiel wraps next time!

    ReplyDelete