Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Jicama

Hi, Ya'll!

Wow... I am writing from a yoga high!  Another awesome practice tonight.
I left my sweat and negative thoughts on my mat and rose from savasana a new gal ;)

Tonights featured food is Jicama.  Did you every hear of it?  I hadn't until I was perusing Whole Foods yesterday and this root vegetable caught my eye.

jicama = jícama = yam bean = Mexican yam bean = ahipa = saa got = Chinese potato (this name also is used for arrow root= Mexican potato = Chinese turnip (this name also is used for lo bokPronunciation:  HIH-kuh-ma  Equivalents:  One jicama, cubed = 2 cups  Notes:   This tan-skinned tuber has a mild, nondescript flavor, but a nice crunchy texture. It's a good, cheap substitute for water chestnuts in stir-fries.  Since it doesn't discolor, it's also a great vegetable to serve raw on a crudité platter. Peel it before using.  Substitutes: water chestnuts (These are more expensive and sweeter than jicama. Like jicama, water chestnuts retain their crispiness when stir-fried.) OR Jerusalem artichoke ( Like jicama, these can be eaten raw and they stay crunchy even when stir-fried. They're more expensive than jicama, but they have an earthier, nuttier flavor.) OR tart apples OR turnips OR daikon radish  

I sliced it up into matchstick fries... raw, it tasted like an apple/pear with hint of spice.  When I cooked it up, it resembled a potato with spice/sweetness.  I pan fried them in coconut oil and sprinkled onion powder, garlic powder and S&P... so so good
Along side was a free range pork sausage patty... I felt like I was eating a burger and fries.


This morning I had a slice of my coconut bread and a small bowl of paleo cereal.  Dried apples, blueberries, sunflower seeds and cocoa nibs sitting in a pool of vanilla flavored coconut milk.


Perfection. 

*Couple of announcements*
1.  New low impact aerobics class will start next Tuesday night at 7pm!
2.  BAWS trip to Whole Foods will be next Thursday night at 7pm.  If you are interested, please let me know and I will put your name on the list.  The fee is $10 and will be collected before we meet at Whole Foods.  The tour will show you how to shop with your health and nutrition in mind.
3.  Protein baws are now being sold.  Chocolate baws for $1.50 (I may be biased, but I think they are awesome).  Look out for new flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment