Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Walking can make a huge impact

Rise and Shine!

We really lucked out with this beautiful weather all week.  It puts me in a happy mood for sure :)

I know many of the BAWS members try to commit to at least two classes per week.  Thats awesome, but what are you doing during your "off days"?  Technically, you should be exercising 4-6 times a week for about 45 minutes each pop.  You can get in a great workout just by walking!  You don't need any equipment, only sneakers and focus.  Walking burns calories, tones, loosen joints, builds strength and tightens your core.  I found some great descriptions on how you can add variety to your walks so you don't get bored.  Variety is the spice of life!

Question: Should I Vary My Walking Workout?
Question: I walk every day. I have 2 different walking routes. One is very flat, and the other way has some incline to it. Is it good to vary your walking workouts?
Answer: Yes! Workout variety is a key to fitness, recovery, and building endurance and muscles.

Easy - Hard Workout Variety

You should alternate easy days with harder days. Easy vs. hard comes in three variables:

Distance: A hard distance day is one of long, slow distance. This is your mileage-building day. Add 1 mile every two weeks.
Speed: A hard day is one done with a speed workout, but often at your standard or shorter distance.
Intensity: A hard day for intensity would be one with hills or on a rough trail. These workout muscles you don't use on flat and/or smooth surface walks.

Walking Workouts

• Health Walk: This is the Easy day walk, use it the day after one of the Hard walks for recovery. 1-1.5 miles
• Fat-Burning Walk: The optimal fat-burning zone still qualifies as an easy day, you can use it in exchange with the Health Walk as a recovery day after a Hard day.  2 miles
• Distance Walk: This is a Hard day due to building distance. You should follow it the next day with an easy walk day or a rest day. 3-6 miles moderate pace
• Aerobic Walk: This walk brings up your heart rate into the training zone and builds aerobic capacity. It is a moderately Hard day. 3-4 miles moderate-hard pace
• Threshold Walk: This walk brings you to your top heart rate for training and builds the body systems to allow you to walk faster. It is a Hard day. 2-3 miles fast!
• Economy Speed Walk: This walk builds speeds through little sprints. It is a Hard day. 2-4 miles of intervals (2 minutes slow, 1 minute fast)
• Ideal Weekly Schedule: If you are already walking 5 or more daysper week for 60 minutes or more, this schedule can turn your walking into a true fitness program.
There really is no exception to not get any type of exercise when you are not at BAWS.  AND if it is raining, call BAWS and ask to use the treadmill or elliptical.  I am here for you to dig deep, conquer your goals and make things easier for you!

...FOOD...

It is 10am and I am about to eat my second meal of the day... my metabolism feels like it is in overdrive.  I am going with the flow.  

First meal at 6am was an egg and veggies sauteed in coconut oil.

Second meal at 10am was 1/2 an avocado, salmon burger topped with salsa and spinach sprinkled  with garlic sunflower seeds.


I am satisfied and have a feeling I will be good until late afternoon :)

See you tonight for tri-athyn and yoga!


No comments:

Post a Comment