Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Why I am eating paleo and what it has done for me so far

Good morning!  Looks like we are going to have a beautiful day outside :)

You will not find any pictures in this post, but you will find my true story...

The reason I am pushing clean eating on this blog rather than fitness all the time is because your health weighs heavily on nutrition.  Your physical and mental health rely primarily on what you eat day in and day out and then the rest falls the fitness aspect.  Since I see most of you at BAWS (!) I want to be able to come home with you and be your little jiminey cricket (your conscience ) on your shoulder to provide you with helpful nutrition advice.  Take it or leave it, but it makes me feel better knowing that I am trying to make all of you as healthy as you can be!  (You deserve it!)

I have always tried to follow the Food Rules Challenge... Eat vegetables and fruit, lean meats, some nuts and seeds, little starch and no sugar.  However, I tend to do things black and white (go balls to the wall without any slip ups) and then I crash and fall off the wagon for a couple weeks.  The more you eat carbs and sugar, the more you want it.  It. Is. Addictive.  I have an auto immune disease and pretty bad allergies so whenever I did not eat well, my health suffered.  By that point, I would go nuts trying to eat perfect again to feel better and then the cycle would repeat itself.

I have a crossfit certification and will go to a local box (that is their lingo for their gym) once in a while to get in a wod (workout of the day).  My heart is with BAWS, but it is always good to switch it up once in a while... especially since I workout at my studio all the time.  Their head coach is in ridiculous shape and follows a paleo lifestyle.  After the wod (while I was panting and trying to control my hands from shaking so badly), we started to talk about how bad my allergies were.  It was a muggy day and a layer of yellow pollan was anywhere you would look.  He said, "Aren't you paleo?"  I said "kinda, um, sorta, I guess no."  I considered myself a decent eater and followed the paleo lifestlye loosely, but I did not cut out grains, sugar and dairy completely.  He looked at me and said, "That's your answer!  You will feel so good.  I helps with allergies, auto immune diseases, and whips you in to the best shape of your life!"  I went home, made up my mind and the rest was history.

I have only been completely paleo for a little while, but I can tell you... I do not crave sugar and carbs like I use to because my insulin levels are always balanced.  I feel satisfied and am not hungry all the time and I feel clean on the inside.  I don't get bloated like I use to when I ate grains and dairy and my digestion is better.  They say the first couple weeks are the worst because you may go through carb withdraw, but then you get use to it.  I am not perfect.  Sometimes I eat too many nuts, sometimes I eat too little and the next day I make up for it, but I feel balanced, never feel guilty from eating the wrongs foods and my mood swings are almost non existent.  The trick is to try to eat a good healthy lean meat, vegetables or fruit and healthy fat every time you eat.  I am doing this to feel better and I feel it is working!  I share my daily eats with you because you say it helps you make better decisions in the kitchen.  I hope you follow my footsteps and try to eat more lean meats and vegetables.  No one is perfect... this is a journey, a marathon... not sprint and together we can get as healthy as possible to feel our best.

Are you in??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment